Thursday 5 November 2015

Open letter to y'all: "But Why All Nigerians Do/Think/Act Like.............?"

So,I will put it this way: no matter in which kind of situation you find yourself in,no matter what you decide to do or not to do,the truth is,it's impossible to please everyone. Why? Because you don't simply expect from someone who is not pleased with himself to be pleased with you and your behavior. And,on the other hand,our (human's) minds are very silly- we would hear 10 amazing comments,and still hold on to the negative one so tight.

What often happens is,we let that one nasty comment generalize on entire social group person that wrote/said it belongs to and here we go - stereotype is successfully formed in our minds.

At the moment I live in Nigeria and honestly,I have love for this place. I am familiar with culture and I learn quite fast ,and it makes me happy since it's my husband's land and I am being very passionate and defensive about the whole "Nigerian thing" (love truly opens different horizons). But what amazes me is how  a lot of local people very often expect me to have some bad experiences or something bad to say since I am "a foreigner" and  "All Nigerians..." , "Nigerians are.." etc...

Well,it's not really how things function in my world. My state of mind won't just let it happen that way.  I always get to meet amazing people. Very different people so no room for generalization.  I get to hear beautiful stories. People share with me wonderful experiences. Pieces of their hearts. Wisdom. I came across people that have nothing to do with me but they accepted me as their family. Just because. They been so kind and generous with me. Very loving and understanding. No calculations,no interest (like some of you might think right now :I do read your mind lol) . No intentions. And no,I am not being "stupidly naive " (I'm reading your mind again;) ).

The bottomline is - no matter where you go,no matter what you do, no matter how bad you miss where you used to be (nostalgia oh!) ,don't let stereotypes and prejudice scatter your mind and blind you and stop you from seeing all the amazing things around you. 

If you have a belief that "All Nigerians/Italians/Russians"etc  are like this/like that - guess what: these are exactly type of people and situations you will regularly invite into your life. Power of our thoughts and words will make sure you do. And you don't want that don't you?

The truth is,every new place will be different than the one you used to know,but it's up to you: You can complain about it ,look down at other people's cultures ("omg they are so weird", "back home we don't do this rubbish "etc) or you can take advantage of these differences. Take the best out of every new part of the world you meet. And bring and introduce them to what makes you happy and proud. Interact. Be amazed and excited. Stay curious,not judgmental. Free your mind. Learn new things. Use your mouth to attract things/situations and people you want to meet. And forgive fast. When people say/do bad things,there is nothing personal about it. It's most of the time product of pure ignorance.

Your beautiful soul will always connect you to the best kind of people and situations no matter where you end up.

Listen to your intuition and follow your heart.

The world is yours. 

16 comments:

  1. You are a breath of fresh air Sonia... And I thank God for people like you... By the way you inspire me every single day lol ♦️♦️♦️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,u just gavr me an inspiring morning recipe.food for thought,plenty lessons to be learnt

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nudging read, God bless u for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excuse my "ignorance", do u truly write these pieces? AMAZING!!! I WILL LOVE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT YOU, that's if you care to publish.��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol , thanks a lot! Way more to go,stay tuned ;)

      Delete
  7. I am truly humbled and grateful to you and this post. You are such an amazing woman and I am so glad I stumbled across your blog! May God continue to bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it, love it love it. You and I have the same way of thinking. Here in germany it is the same with some black people especially when I meet some ghanians ( I do know not all of them are like that), when I tell them I'm nigerian then the trouble starts. They will always stero typ people & they don't even want to try to get to know you. This is just ridiculous. But luckily their are people out there like you !! Definitely inspiring your post. I do got also some chit chat on my blog.
    stay blessed.
    xoxo

    http://barbarasbeautycorner.blogspot.de/2016/03/this-one-friend-that-is-secretly.html#more

    ReplyDelete